It's Monday, What Are You Reading? [June 22, 2015]

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? [June 22, 2015]

Monday, June 22, 2015

So last night a dream of mine came true. I saw Modest Mouse live! For free! They played Rock the Garden in Minneapolis and it was incredible. I don't want to say that I immediately started crying when they started with "The World at Large." Oh man, the whole set got me in the feelings.


Seun Kuti and the Egypt 80 also played. If you don't know who they are, Seun Kuti is the son of legendary Nigerian musician Fela Kuti. So seeing them live while finishing up Lagoon which is set in sci-fi Lagos, Nigeria was pretty fucking magical.

Side note: I'm also doing Books on the Nightstand bingo! It started Memorial Day and it ends Labor Day. I've kind of bullied everybody I know into doing it with me. Here's my card! If you want one, go here and you'll get a randomly generated card! It's a good time, I promise. Show me your cards!

So basically I want to do all of them except presidential biography.

 

THIS WEEK I READ:

  • Lagoon by Nnedi Okorafor

CURRENTLY READING:


My work week was so crazy, that I didn't get very far into The People in the Trees by Hanya Yanagihara. I'm going camping this week, though and this is one of the books I'm bringing with me! I think I also need to find something creepy and forest-based. Anybody have any suggestions?






So this tiny weirdness is apparently surreal and poetic, so I think I need it. Light Boxes by Shane Jones is only 175 pages and it's about a small town that's dealing with a perpetual February. And February is like a god? Children are going missing. Shit's going down. And the town is going to fight back against February. After a slow reading week, I need some instant gratification. And its format is kind of experimental, so I'm down.





What are you reading this week?

 

Share

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...